Thursday, 26 February 2015

Choosing A Foundation | Skin Types, Formulas and Applications

I already know this will be quite a long post so let's get into it!

Skin Types

Source
There are four most common skin types: dry, normal, combination and oily skin. Dry skin tends to flake easily whereas oily skin is the complete opposite. I have combination skin where I have an oily t-zone with normal normal skin else where. This makes finding the right foundation quite hard.

Foundation Types

BB Creams
This stands for blemish balm and has super light coverage. It contains SPF so it'll protect you from sun damage. But since it does contain SPF, it does give flashback in photos. I typically don't wear BB creams as the coverage is way too light for me.

CC Creams 
This stands for colour correct, therefore it cancels out any redness in your skin. It provides moisture for the skin. I don't wear CC Creams either.

Sheer Foundation
This gives a natural look as its coverage is super light, just as the BB creams. It gives a nice glow so it can illuminate the skin giving a younger and fresher look. This type of foundation doesn't look heavy at all.

Liquid Foundation
This is my favourite kind of foundation and one I have been wearing since I was 14. It is suitable for most skin types and I just mattify the foundation with a powder such as Natural Collection Loose Powder or Soap and Glory's One Heck Of A Blot. Ones I have found that work particularly good on oily/combination skins are Rimmel Match Perfection, Maxfactor Facefinity and Maybelline Fit Me. 

Primer

Primers are a bit like marmite; some absolutely love them and swear by them, whilst others don't use them at all. I am the former. Having oily/combination skin, I use primers to keep my skin as matt as possible for as long as possible. I also find that primers make my makeup last a lot longer. Primers I swear by are GOSH Velvet Touch Primer which I use all over my face and Maybelline Baby Skin which I use on my cheeks as it is silicone based so it 'masks' pores.

Application

For BB/CC Creams, you can simply use your fingers and apply as it was a moisturiser. Some people use brushes such as the Real Techniques Buffing Brush. For sheer/liquid foundations, brushes such as the Real Techniques Stippling Brush and the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush can be used or a Beauty Blender or the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponger which are reviewed here. Some people, such as Sonjdradeluxe use their fingers to apply liquid foundations, but obviously are very experienced and can do so flawlessly.

Nazia xo

4 comments :

  1. such a helpful and informative blog post thank you so much for sharing! id love it if youd comment back http://www.amyelizabethfashion.com/2015/02/juggling-life.html xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great post! I have combination skin too and it is such a struggle to find the right foundation! I feel your pain ;)

    Love, Charline
    http://charlinehasablog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete